Certificate III in Dental Assisting
A Dental Assistant works as part of a multi disciplinary team, with a range of oral health professionals such as Dentists, Dental Specialists, Oral Health Therapists, Dental Hygienists and Dental Prosthetists. Dental Assistants will provide assistance during client service delivery and often undertakes administrative tasks such as reception, appointment scheduling, payment and receipts as well as clinical management. Dental Assistants can also work as advocates in health promotion and clinic management roles. Dental assistants are often the first point of contact for clients and have the opportunity to ensure the practice is welcoming and provides an excellent quality of care.
Private practices employ dental assistants in full time, part-time or casual positions. Public Health Services operate dental clinics in hospitals, schools or community based clinics, and dental assistants work with oral health therapists and dentists in these positions. Correctional Services, Defence forces and some aged care facilities provide oral health services and employ staff for these positions. Mobile dental clinics travel to aged care facilities and rural and remote areas providing dental treatment.
Learn more about this genuine career pathway through the Dental Assistants Professional Association: www.dapa.asn.au
Adapted from source: http://www.dapa.asn.au/home/dental-assistants
Students who successfully complete this course may be eligible to continue further study at Diploma level in Nursing or other related health care fields.
For other important information, please read our Pre-admission Student Handbook. You can access it here.
Alternatively, you may request to have the handbook emailed to you by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course includes 400 hours of industry placement in an approved industry setting. The placement is included as part of the course duration.
Important: To be considered for an intake, completed applications should be received no later than 30 days prior to the scheduled course commencement date. Applications that are incomplete or incorrect may not be considered. Course offers for applications received by the due date are not guaranteed and intake capacity may vary. EQUALS reserves the right to accept or decline applications at its total discretion.
Entry requirements for the Certificate III in Dental Assisting HLT35015 Qualification are:
• Adequate English language skills and numeracy skills to communicate safely and effectively in study and work environments. Domestic applicants are required to complete relevant internal LLN skills testing and/or are required to successfully demonstrate exit level 2 in reading and numeracy through the CSPA test (refer EQUALS LLN Policy). International applicants are required to demonstrate a minimum 5.5 overall band score in IELTS (or equivalent) prior to course commencement.
• Physical fitness to meet industry requirements
Before going on industry placement students are typically required to show evidence of:
• Successful completion of theory and simulated practical assessment, and
• Evidence of Hepatitis B immunity, and
• Valid DCSI Clearances for working with Aged, Vulnerable and Children, and
• Applicants must show adequate evidence of competency in communication skills. In particular, applicants need to be able to read, comprehend, interpret, apply, write and share information to standards that will ensure the safety of clients in their care.
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTDEN001 Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTDEN002 Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN003 Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF002 Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
Elective Units offered by EQUALS
- HLTOHC003 Apply and manage use of basic oral health products
- HLTOHC004 Provide or assist with oral hygiene
- Tuition Fee (AUD): $4,995
- WorkReady Co-Contribution Fee (training contract only): $650
- Job Trainer Co-Contribution Fee (training contract only): $650
- Amenities Fee: $650
- Duration: 34 weeks
- Study Mode: On Campus (Full-time)
- Intakes: Contact us for information
- Qual Code: HLT35015
- RPL: Yes
- VET Student Loans Eligible: –
- Resources Required: Yes
- Qual Status: Current
Tuition Fee (AUD): $8,500
Amenities Fee (AUD): $650
Study Mode: On Campus
Qual Code: HLT35015
- CRICOS Course Code: 093199K
Resources Required: Yes
Qual Status: Current