Certificate III in Dental Assisting
Up to 34 weeks
A Dental Assistant works as part of a multi disciplinary team, with a range of oral health professionals such as Dentists, Dental Specialists, Oral Health Therapists, Dental Hygienists and Dental Prosthetists.
Dental Assistants will provide assistance during client service delivery and often undertake administrative tasks such as reception, appointment scheduling, payment and receipts as well as clinical management. Dental Assistants can also work as advocates in health promotion and clinic management roles. Dental assistants are often the first point of contact for clients and have the opportunity to ensure the practice is welcoming to patients.
Private practices employ dental assistants in full time, part-time or casual positions. Public Health Services operate dental clinics in hospitals, schools or community based clinics, and dental assistants work with oral health therapists and dentists in these positions. Correctional Services, Defence forces and some aged care facilities provide oral health services and employ staff for these positions. Mobile dental clinics travel to aged care facilities and rural and remote areas providing dental treatment.
Learn more about this genuine career pathway through the Dental Assistants Professional Association: www.dapa.asn.au
Adapted from source: http://www.dapa.asn.au/home/dental-assistants
Students who successfully complete this course may be eligible to continue further study at Diploma level in Nursing or other related health care fields.
For more important information, please read our Student Handbook.
You can access it here.
Alternatively, please contact this email address email@example.com.
Subsidised training is only available for those with a Training Contract.
Entry requirements for the Certificate III in Dental Assisting HLT35021 qualification are:
• Adequate English language skills and numeracy skills to communicate safely and effectively in study and work environments. Domestic applicants are required to complete relevant internal LLN skills testing or, they must successfully demonstrate exit level 2 in reading and numeracy through the CSPA test (refer EQUALS LLN Policy). International applicants are required to demonstrate a minimum 5.5 overall band score in IELTS (or equivalent) prior to course commencement.
• Physical fitness to meet industry requirements
Before going on industry placement students are typically required to show evidence of:
• Successful completion of theory and simulated practical assessment, and
• Evidence of Hepatitis B immunity, and
• Valid DCSI Clearances for working with Aged, Vulnerable and Children, and
• Applicants must show adequate evidence of competency in communication skills and knowledge. In particular, applicants need to be able to read, comprehend, interpret, apply, write and share information to standards that will ensure the safety of clients in their care.
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTDEN015 Prepare for and assist with dental procedures
- HLTDEN016 Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN017 Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTINF006 Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTINF002 Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
Elective Units offered by EQUALS
- HLTDEN028 Provide effective oral hygiene instruction to patients with an oral health treatment plan
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
Domestic Study Mode
Work Integrated Learning
This course fee includes 400 hours of industry placement in an approved industry setting. The placement is included as part of the course duration.
Nationally Recognised Training
National Recognition (Credit Transfer) and Recognition of Prior Learning
If you have related prior education and experiences, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Please follow this link for more information on applying for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have successfully completed units of competency from this qualification previously, you may be eligible for National Recognition, please follow this link for more information on National Recognition (Credit Transfer).