Certificate III in Pathology Collection
Up to 34 weeks
Looking for flexibility in your career choice? The Certificate III in Pathology Collection HLT37215 is delivered either as a full qualification or as a Statement of Attainment (part qualification).
The full Certificate qualification requires completion of a professional experience placement over a minimum of 40 hours. Professional experience placements are provided subject to supply and employer availability. Alternatively, students undertaking the Statement of Attainment are able to complete their professional experience placements once they have secured employment. Students undertaking the Statement of Attainment will receive up to 13 units of competency in the full qualification, which has 14 units of competency.
Students undertaking studies in Pathology Collection are encouraged to apply for employment opportunities before they have completed their studies. Studies also provide flexibility and opportunity to pathway into higher degrees within the health sector.
The Certificate III in Pathology Collection HLT37215 qualification reflects the role of pathology collectors. Workers in this role work separately and as part of a team, contributing to processes and procedures, taking responsibility for their own work. They possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, and a balanced application of customer service and technical skills, using discretion and judgment to adapt and transfer their skills to different situations.
Pathology Collectors are employed in a variety of settings. They may be employed by a specific health care provider or by an organisation that specialises in pathology collection, storage and transport.
A wide variety of employment opportunities exist for pathology collectors across government and private industry. Employment is typically available on a full time or part time basis and suits a range of individuals with a variety of employment needs.
Graduates of the Certificate III in Pathology Collection HLT37215 qualifies individuals to work as a Phlebotomist or Pathology Collector in the health sector. This qualification offers a direct entry pathway into Diploma level courses in Nursing or other related health care fields.
For more important information, please read our Student Handbook. You can access it here.
Alternatively, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have the handbook emailed to you.
If you want to study a course that will give you skills employers need, the South Australian Government pays part of your course fees for you.
Your eligibility for government subsidised training may be based on your employment status and any training you’ve already completed.
Check your eligibility here.
Entry requirements for the HLT37215 Certificate III in Pathology Collection Qualification are:
• Adequate English language skills and numeracy skills to communicate safely and effectively in study and work environments. Domestic applicants are required to complete relevant internal LLN skills testing and/or are required to successfully demonstrate exit level 2 in reading and numeracy through the CSPA test (refer EQUALS LLN Policy). International applicants are required to demonstrate a minimum 5.5 overall band score in IELTS (or equivalent) prior to course commencement.
• Physical fitness to meet industry requirements
Before going on industry placement students are typically required to show evidence of:
• Successful completion of theory and simulated practical assessment, including Hand Hygiene Certificate, and
• Valid DCSI Clearances for working with Aged, Vulnerable and Children, and
• Applicants must show adequate evidence of competency in communication skills. In particular, applicants need to be able to read, comprehend, interpret, apply, write and share information to standards that will ensure the safety of clients in their care.
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTINF006 Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTPAT001 Identify and respond to clinical risks in pathology collection
- HLTPAT002 Perform venous blood collections
- HLTPAT004 Collect pathology specimens other than blood
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBCUS201 Deliver a service to customers
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
Elective Units offered by EQUALS
- HLTCAR001 Perform electrocardiography (ECG)
- BSBLDR414 Lead team effectiveness
- HLTPAT003 Perform capillary blood collections
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
Domestic Study Mode
Work Integrated Learning
The placement is included as part of the course duration.
Nationally Recognised Training
National Recognition (Credit Transfer) and Recognition of Prior Learning
If you have related prior education and experiences, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Please follow this link for more information on applying for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have successfully completed units of competency from this qualification previously, you may be eligible for National Recognition, please follow this link for more information on National Recognition (Credit Transfer).